Captain Cook Memorial Museum
This handsome 17thC harbourside house is where the great explorer, James Cook, came to serve his apprenticeship in Whitby in the year 1746. It belonged to Cook's master, the Quaker ship owner, Captain John Walker. When the young Cook was not at sea, he lodged here in the attic with Walker's 'other family' of apprentices.
The house is now a museum. It houses a superb collection of original exhibits about Yorkshire's most famous son. Regional winner 2005, White Rose Awards.
visit the Museum's website at www.cookmuseumwhitby.co.uk